Persecution Blogging 101

My husband and I are blessed to know quite a variety of people.  Many are Christians, both Protestant and Catholic, while others are Hindu, Sikh, Muslim, Zoroastrian, non-religious, Buddhist, or Jewish.  Many of our friends and acquaintances read this blog. Because of this of this diversity, I want to clarify what my purpose is in blogging about the persecuted church.  Some of you will already know what I’m going to say, but others may need to hear it for the first time.

First, I am blogging for persecuted Christians—but I am concerned for all who are being persecuted, whatever their religion.
Because I am a Christian, I have a particularly deep concern for other Christians. This does not mean that I have no concern for other groups suffering persecution or that I think it is acceptable for anyone to be oppressed.  Naturally, I know more about what Christians throughout the world are suffering, and I feel a special responsibility towards them.  But I do care about sufferings of Buddhist political dissidents in Myanmar, Black Muslims in Darfur, members of Falun Gong in China, and other non-Christian oppressed groups.

Second, I am blogging for persecuted Christians—not against Hindus, Muslims, Communists or any other group.
Many of those who persecute Christians are radical Hindus, or extremist Muslims, or Communists.  While I do want to draw attention to the suffering these extreme groups cause,  I don’t want anyone to think that my point is to blog against Hindus, Muslims, Communists or anyone else.  Many of those who commit terrible acts against other do not represent their religion and are not typical of others who follow their religion.  

Some of you reading this might think I’m being too soft or naïve.  Feel free to disagree with me in the comment section, but the reason I feel no need to attack other religions is because I believe in a Christian doctrine called “total depravity.” All human beings have turned from God and are prone to do great evil, especially when circumstances make it easy to get away with.  I do not believe that other religions are the source of the evil in this world, and thus it is not my purpose to attack them.  It is the human heart that is evil, and only God can change the heart.  History has shown that even those who call themselves “Christians” can commit terribly depraved acts.    

Third, I am blogging for persecuted Christians—not for the United States or South Korea or any other country.
Certain nations undoubtedly provide much greater religious and political freedoms to their citizens than do others.  But my objective is not to waste words praising my own country or others in free countries, but to advocate for those who are suffering.  It is my duty to be more critical of my homeland (USA) and my “home-away-from-home land” (South Korea) because I bear direct responsibility for solving problems in my own country.  There is a proverb that says, “Let another praise you and not your own mouth.”

Again, I could be accused of being naïve.  After all, It is clear that certain nations and certain cultural groups within those nations bear most of the blame for the persecution of Christians. Naturally, I must condemn such acts, but I do not want to categorically condemn any nation or culture while praising my own.  As I said, I think that the human heart is the source of evil. It is people who kill and torture other people.  Corrupt political systems and twisted religious teachings can create an environment which encourages evil behavior. But, in the end, a political system never killed anybody.

In summary, my goal is to raise awareness of those who suffer because they are Christians.  That’s it.  As I raise awareness of the persecution of Christian, I will seek to be as gracious, fair, and accurate as I can be.  I will try to write in a way that causes people to seek to help the persecuted and the persecutor both.

No comments:

Post a Comment