Amid the Cold of Winter

I am fighting a bloody battle with Microsoft Word as I try to finish our Christmas newsletter. Inspite of the fact that I am very familiar with Word, Word seems to not be familiar with me anymore. The battle may be won yet, but it's looking like it will be a Pyrrhic victory.

Directly outside my window is a group of protesters with bullhorns and drums protesting with as many decibels as they can muster. It's great that South Korea is a democracy. It's great that people have the right to assemble and protest their government. But why do they always have to do it during my son's naptime? Sigh. That is the peril of living right next to the city hall. Protests, marches, and singing contests are a frequent occurence. Well, all I know is that it's time to go home when I see the riot police coming with their clubs and shields.

It's been cold for a port city. Wednesday was 26 degrees high and 13 degrees low. Add to that a stiff wind and cloudy conditions, and it's hard to take Buggy Boy outside for even a few minutes. So, we've been stuck indoors. It is amazing how much destruction can happen when a active toddler is left inside for a single day. I still don't know how he got the raw chicken skins out of the food garbage.

It is Christmas time, but not all is glorious. Last night, when I closed my eyes all I could see is images of the poor people freezing to death in Pakistan. I had a number of nightmares early this morning which I can't quite remember now--and I don't really want to. I am safe and comfortable, but many people, especially young children, are dying. Such horrors challenge my faith like nothing else. Such tragedies cause me to doubt God's goodness more than anything else. Sometimes, I wish I could forget the suffering of this world for just a few hours, but I can never entirely leave it behind. So life remains a strange mixture of joy and sorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Trouble with Word? You might want to try WordPerfect! And for support, you can go to WordPerfect Universe -- it's amazing. (I'm just a user, but an enthusiastic one.) Good luck! -Eric

    ReplyDelete