Citrus Peel Philosophy

One of my goals is to try to live on less, not so much to save money as to save my soul. I'm not talking about going to heaven, just preserving my sense of enjoyment of life. Too much consumption leads to staleness and boredom. So here's a quick idea for those of you who appreciate frugality.

When you buy citrus fruits, wash them well before you peel them. I wash mine in a fruit/vegetable disinfectant and scrub them with a fruit brush. Then, when you have peeled and eaten the fruit, toss the peels in a dry, clean pan and turn the burner on low. Leave the peels there until they are dry. It will probably take several hours. As long as the burner is on very low, you don't have to worry about them burning. After they are thoroughly dry, put them in a airtight container.

To use, boil a few pieces of dry peel in a pot with a bag or two of black tea (even green tea) and a stick of cinnamon or a few cloves. It is just as good as Celestial Seasonings.

3 comments:

  1. Are you still looking for whole wheat flour? I recently found some at E-Mart. It's in a yellow, green and brown 1-kilo bag, with a picture of wheat fields on it, and it's called tong-mil-ga-ru. Hope you can find some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good idea, thanks. I've enjoyed visiting your place here. What lovely pics you've taken, and what a precious child you have.
    I found you via Sparrow's blog. I like the allconsuming.net idea, hadn't seen that before! I've now started an acct. too, it's so much easier to keep track of our reads than the way I was doing it before!
    Have a great day!
    blessings to you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea - that's going to happen around here. I bet you could put them in with ordinary sugar too for a scented sugar. (If you're into bad stuff like sugar - which I am :))

    I love your first line: "not so much to save money as to save my soul."

    That's very wise.

    ReplyDelete