Looking into My Conservative Past

No doubt one of the strangest things I did in sixth or seventh grade was to go out and buy both of Rush Limbaugh’s books with the money I earned from babysitting. For whatever reason, I liked them so much that I became a regular listener of both his radio program and his now-defunct TV show. Rush Limbaugh was my hero. I was a convert to his brand of obnoxiouness conservatism.

I thereafter joined The Conservative Bookclub and read a variety of conservative authors. Among those I can remember are the following:

  1. The Vision of the Annointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy by Thomas Sowell.

  2. Renewing American Compassion by Marvin Olasky

  3. Whirled Views: Tracking Today’s Culture Storms, by Marvin Olasky

  4. Fighting for Liberty and Virture: Political and Cultural Wars in Eighteenth-Century America by Marvin Olasky.

  5. Inventing the AIDS Virus by Peter H. Duesberg.

  6. The Road to Hell: The Ravaging Effects of Foreign AID and International Charity by Michael Marin.

  7. The End of Racism by Dinesh D’Souza (I think I read this—would have to look at the book to be sure.)

  8. A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law by Justice Antonin Scalia.

No doubt, I was a serious kid. I took politics to heart and cried for a long time when Bill Clinton was reelected. I kept following American politics closely until 1997. That year, I had somewhat of an intellectual and emotional crisis. I quit following politics, quit reading conservative books, and began questioning much of what I had believed. In fact, I’ll still questioning and thinking a lot. I hope to be able to explore some of these issues in further posts.

3 comments:

  1. Rush : *groan*

    Aren't you glad you're grown up now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, out of curiosity, was your intellectual and emotional crisis in 1997?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, how to explain. . . The crisis was a general sense that I was on the wrong path and didn't know where the right path was. Also a sense that God may not be in his heaven and all's not right with the world

    ReplyDelete