Opening a New Door

There was a time, not so many years ago, when I said, "I would never be like one of those mothers--putting my child in daycare!" Rather than being a reflection of careful thought and concern for my own child, my attitude was more a result of pride and, yes, ignorance. I just knew that those mothers weren't as committed or as wise as I would be when I became a mother.

Now, I am opening a new door--the door to a small daycare about a 10 minute walk from our apartment. Daddy, Buggy Boy, and I visited there together after lunch. Buggy immediately plunged into the toys and began interacting with the other children. DH and I left and walked around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes, talking. (We even uncovered a fantastic bakery/cafe that I didn't realize was there.) Then, we called the daycare and they said that Buggy was happy and playing well. We walked back, and when we came in the door, he ignored us. When we tried to get him to leave, he ran and hid under the slide. He didn't want to leave.

Tomorrow, I will return with Buggy Boy and he will begin his first official day of daycare. DH and I plan to just let him stay there for a few hours in the morning. If Buggy were scared to meet new people than I wouldn't force him to, but God has blessed me with a highly extroverted boy. He doesn't want to stay home with me. He is always running to the door and trying to put on his shoes and hat to go outside. When we go out, he loves to run up to different people and try to "talk" to them. My son loves to meet new people and play with other kids. He loves the stimulation of going new places and playing with new toys. I can't give him that kind of interaction in our tiny little apartment.

So, what will I do while Buggy is gone? One thing: Study languages. I've been frustrated by my lack of time to practice Korean. My DH has to do many things for me because of my lack of Korean skills. It isn't good for either of us. I will probably also begin studying Hebrew again. When I resume my master's, I will need to be able to pass an advanced standing test in Hebrew to avoid taking the first year and wasting several thousand dollars. And, I brought a pile of Greek books with me to Korea that I need to review at some point. There is no lack of work for me to do!

Buggy will be within walking distance of me and my husband both. I'm looking forward to opening a new door. . .

9 comments:

  1. Good for you. It's so important to get a break. I think it's a positive thing for a child to have more than one loving caregiver. The modern nuclear family with one parent caring for the child all day long is not how it was meant to be.

    I've been feeling really frustrated with my daughter lately because she needs so much stimulation and only seems to be happy when we're out somewhere. Maybe I should follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good idea for your family. I know you are completely committed to the best for your son, and he will enjoy the change of scenery as much as you will enjoy the solitude and focused study.

    Enjoy your time alone today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had to work because of financial reasons, and my children have both attended the same small daycare. I am constantly amazed by what they learn in a group setting with other children and (having two very social children) at how much they enjoy the interactions with their peers.

    Daycare isn't ever an easy decision, but sometimes, it's a really good one. Good luck to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has a way of taking us to places that we never thought we'd go. I find it so humbling...and necessary.

    Blessings to you,
    Ann V. HolyExperience

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I sooooooo understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. And I believe you are being very wise in how you are approaching this. You *do* need that language study time--for you, for your family.

    I've done about a bajillion things in the past ten years that I thought I would never do. (And I'm not talking about moving to Ukraine.) The things I though, "Oh, I'd never do that. My children will never do that." Those things that. . . for me. . . were pride things.

    And while I still hold certain values, I no longer idolize ideals the way I once did. And may God give me grace to look to Him and not simply ideals, in the decisions I make with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just been through the same experience with my youngest - it is always a wrench but they need time to find themselves without us there to hold their hand... I wish you every success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't mind me popping in and commenting on your blog.It sounds to me like you've made a well informed and thought through decision. You know your son well and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have your son's best interests at heart, and you have to take care of yourself to be a good mom. I've found I have to look at the stage my child is at, what he needs, my own resources, and what the outside options are, regularly. You may make some new friends over there at the daycare. :-)
    PS. I've tried to comment on your dad's blog a couple times, but it won't let me. Not sure what's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good Hannah. Kids learn stuff playing with other kids. Some days they might get a bit tetchy with each other kids but brothers and sisters do that too so it's part of it all.
    Your son sounds wonderful.
    If he's happy then cool.
    I'm glad you are getting a bit of space to pursue things. I'd love to study Hebrew - and go bak and pick up Greek again.
    All these things and such a short life really.

    ReplyDelete