Review of "Oseam"

The title "Oseam" 오세암 means "five year-old Buddhist hermitage," but I had no idea of that when I bought the movie. This animation is beautifully done, and I loved the scenes of traditional Korean architecture and the Korean landscape. But I don't want to watch it again. In fact, I didn't watch it to the end because I was too tired. My husband finished it alone, and after he told me the ending, I don't want to finish it at all. Call me sentimental, but I don't like the fact that the main character, who is a mischievous five year-old boy, contracts leprosy and freezes to death in the end after being left alone in a Buddhist hermitage to attain "enlightenment.” After his death, the monks renamed the building in which he died "Oseam," thus the title of the movie. It seems negligent to leave a little child like that alone in the middle of winter. Technically, the animation and story are very well done. I just wish I knew that it would be a sad story before I bought it.

Related Tags: , ,

2 comments:

  1. That sounds terrible. I hate it when I watch a (fiction) movie, expecting a good ending, and something awful happens to one of the main characters. This happened to me with 8 Seconds (the main character, a rodeo cowboy, gets thrown and dies) and House of Sand and Fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would enjoy that story either! I tend to like happy endings or at least hopeful endings.

    ReplyDelete