Crocheted Vests, Nice Girls, and Selfhood


This picture of me must have been taken when I was about 15 years old.
I attempted to bake a loaf of challah, and was successful beyond my expectations.
I still love baking.
But what strikes me about this picture is the green crocheted vest.
I bought this vest at Target for perhaps $20.
I loved it. I still love it.
But I threw it away years ago, convinced that it was too frumpy, determined to "divest" myself of my squeaky clean nice girl look.
Have I been successful? No.
In spite of ten year of attempting to change myself, I have finally reverted back to a form of myself that most closely resembles my early teenage years.
What to do? Crochet some vests, I guests.

3 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of the vest, but I applaud your decision to wear what you like. And I am a fan of the challah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should make some crochet skirts, too. I saw one on ebay that went for about $79 (I forgot if it was knit or crochet), and own a black one that is sadly a little big for me now.

    And good for you for wearing what you want. It's not much fun to not be able to be yourself because of worrying about what other people will think of your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *laughing*

    oh how many clothes i thought were so cool...and were so not.

    goodness, i hope i'm not still doing that.

    that's a fabulous loaf of challah, btw.

    ReplyDelete