The Doubts of Those Who Want To Believe

"I think there is no suffering greater than what is caused by the doubts of those who want to believe.” Flannery O’Connor This quote was on my blog for several months. I received an thoughtful email from a friend regarding it. She gave me permission to share it with you. Here is what Julie says. . .

I agree. See my blog entry in November 2006 and you'll see why. I try and
try, but somehow, full faith escapes me. I believe in the philosophy of
Jesus, Buddha, etc...but I can't accept the dogma, rules, and hypocrisies
that I feel exist in Catholicism and other organized Christian religions.
Furthermore, so many "religious" people that I know talk a lot, but do very
little in the way of meaningful action. Is prayer once a week in church or
attendance at the annual pot-luck fundraiser really the epitomy of one's
ability to "serve" humanity during this life? For me, that's the essense of
religion -- serving others and quashing one's own selfish desires. I
continue to seek my path -- I often feel like I should "jump on the bus" of
some organized group, perhaps as a way to validate that I'm "religious".
But, every group I've encountered thrusts at me their bag of dogma that I
can't swallow. Am I "faithless" because I can't believe that Jesus really
"rose from the dead" in the literal sense? Do you have any thoughts on
this?

I have had many similar feeling myself, and I'll post some thoughts later. If anyone is still reading this blog after my long absense, let me know what you think. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    Thanks for posting my question. :-) The link you put to my blog isn't quite right. It's bigjrun10k.blogspot.com (bigj run 10k -- my nickname is big j and I like running 10k distance races)

    How exciting that your father is visiting. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I visited Korea in the Fall and I loved it. The colors are so brilliant! I really can't wait to go back.

    Well, I'm trying yet another Soon Dubu recipe today. I hope it works out!! I'm off to the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just rediscovered you after a long absence myself, and would be interested in more thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a response that I hope will be helpful to anyone. It isn't specifically targeted to Julie, but to anyone who seeks to believe. You can find it on my blog at:

    http://neilgn.blogspot.com/

    Neil

    ReplyDelete