Guest Blogger From China

Woo woo woo!!!! Let's give our guest blogger a big hand or at least a hearty round of comment typing.

Zhang Jun is a close friend of mine. He works for the Chinese Government in Dongguan, China (near to Hongkong.) I can't vouch for the quality of his writing in Chinese, but he is an amazing writer in English.

So where do you work?

The institute I am working at is called the Bureau of Industrial and Commercial Administration, According to the law, this institute has a wide range of functions, which are tightly connected with the economy, such as market-entrance registration, trademark registration and protection, supervision of public advertisement, intellectual property protection, consumer's rights protection, fighting against smuggling, illegal commercial competition, counterfeit currency, monopoly...etc. And there are some other minor functions.

Often this institute describes itself as business police, or market guard, I guess this analogy would help you to acquire a picture of what my institute is like. If this institute fulfills its functions well, then it could be of great significance to the nation. However, like all other institutes of government, this institute unexceptionally fails to do well. Usually it doesn't aim at the public interests, but aims at the own interests. This is not a problem of this institute, but a common problem to the whole government, and I believe, most of other institutes might be even worse.

What exactly do you do there?

About my personal job, first you should know that my institute makes hundreds of administrative penalty every year, such as to revoke a business license, to give a warn, to confiscate commodity, to give a fine, and so on. Since the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) contended that this country ought to be managed on the basis of laws, all administrations are required to strictly comply with the laws.

Basically, I am the person in my bureau who in charge of supervision of administrative penalty. Namely, my job is to ensure the administrative penalty that my bureau gives is lawful. Therefore, I need to read their reports and monitor their behaviors at daily work. In theory, it is a meaningful job because it helps to regulate the illegal administration and prevent the rights from being abused. In reality, it is not like that way because I am not an independent supervisor. In many cases it is like a legal adviser who gives advice to the institute so as to make the best use of laws to get maximal benefits from administration.

Chinese administrative organizations are like enterprises in a way--they try all means to maintain their own interests under the veil of providing public service, I will tell you more on this later if I have time. Other than supervising the administration, I also need to write a lot of business articles. In my eye, only a small part of those articles have some real contents, the rest are just garbage. The bureaucrats enjoys that kind of garbage. Countless frothy meetings, countless meaningless articles...that happens in every unit of every level of Chinese governments. In fact, everyone of us is unexceptionally the victim of that sick system. I suppose that throughout this world only in N Korea and China can government has such serious formalism and bureaucratism.

Well, I originally had much more to say about my job, but I feel woozy now. It is easy to explain to a Chinese person--just a few words would be OK, but rather difficult to a foreigner. I suppose you will still have many questions about my job, and you should have them, tell me. I am willing to answer those questions.

to be continued. . .

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Zhang Jun,
    Thank you for explaining it so well in English. We appreciate you candor and look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sunny,

    I have seen you before in Hannah's pictures. It's very nice to receive your comment. Thanks for your kind words. You are welcome to ask me any other questions that you have interests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, thanks. I will ask some.

    How did you get into this line of work?

    On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you like what you do? (1=not much at all, 10=perfectly)

    If life had no limits, what would be the perfect career for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, sunny,

    Thanks for your interesting questions. However, it's a little awkward to talk about this kind of personal topics on Hannah's blog. If you don't mind receiving emails from me, I'd like to answer them by email. How do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure. Hannah can give you the address. Sunny

    ReplyDelete