Kindle Sprees and Words of Warning

Gotta get more reading material for my daily 3-4 hour bus/subway commutes. So, today I am stuffing my little kindle full of sweet books.

Warning: I've had too many people (all of who know me in real life--yes, you know who you are!) suffer lonely anguished nights worrying about the state of my soul based on my reading list. Do not assume that my choice of a book indicates my rabid devotion to its author. Just a glance below would reveal that it is logically impossible for me to agree with them all.  Dawkins--the celebrated apostle of the atheists--and Wright--one of the greatest Christian thinkers of our times--are not joined at the hip, but I find both intellectually stimulating in their respective ways.

The Social Animal by David Brooks
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
A Korean Grammar on Semantic-Pragmatic Principles by Ki-Dong Yi (Have been looking for this one for years, and snapped up the last and only used copy!)
Stumbling On Happiness by Daniel Gilbert 

I don't read books that I anticipate I will agree with entirely, because they would be unbearably boring and I would learn nothing. Nor do I read books that I anticipate I will disagree with entirely because also I would learn nothing and would probably just seethe with rage the whole time. Rather, I read books that present new ways of thinking and new information. Generally, I aim for books that I will both disagree with and agree with partially.  Those are the books which help me challenge my thinking and discover answers for myself. 

Alas, as a child of the conservative Evangelical movement, there will always be those dear but ultimately frustrating souls who will not be content until I confess that I am deeply anguished whenever I even hear the name "Richard Dawkins." They will not look kindly upon my paying full price to buy a new copy of his book, nor will they be thrilled to hear that he is one of my current favorite authors.
*************
Repressed sarcasm seems to lend a hoity-toity British flavour to my writing. Perhaps I'd better stop. Right ho, Jeeves?




3 comments:

  1. From my friend Ben:

    "You really are a amazing lady with a beautiful mind, Miss Nedrow. I very much enjoyed your blog, and have enjoyed your other blogs in the past. I agree very much with your thoughts, mainly about reading material you are not used to/agree with. I have have actually learned and affirmed my thoughts/beliefs by reading something outside my normal reading or something i may not agree with. The compare and contrast can help 'flex' the brain in many ways. I also enjoyed the Minne the moocher song, too fun.
    By the way, i have read very little of the books you have mentioned in the blog post and your "Books of 2010/2011". Ill have to write those down and read them when i can.
    I find in reading that i enjoy non-fiction and fiction equally and switch off at leisure to keep my brain interesting in reading, and not let the fun stale. Case in point, i just read Temple Grandin's "Thinking in Pictures". Follow by Franklin Foer's "How soccer explains the world". Both were great. Now i am starting Suzanne Collins "The Hunger Games" Trilogy. After that, i plan to read the Millennium trilogy and then "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. As you can see, i am all over the place with books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, Thanks so much for the awesome comment. I'm interested a lot in Temple Gradin's life and book(s). It's great that you are all over the place with books. In the long run, I am too, but I tend to get on ruts that last for months and months and keep reading books on the same theme. Then I totally switch to something else for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my friend Michelle:

    "If I were there I'd bring over coffee and talk. Since you're bored and all! After all, I am a total bore by most standards. You'd send me packing quite fast.Seriously, the new blog post has me intrigued. My father was an ordained pastor and a Baptist. Yet, he read many of the types of books you speak of and yet was utterly fascinated by science and space, dinosaurs, and authors that made the mainstream church goer cringe. It is not a bad thing to think outside any box and gather information. THIS is what makes faith stronger. Sheeple of any sort, bandwagonism as another feriend put it the other day annoys me."

    ReplyDelete